COVID-19 Day in the Life: A Student-Athlete's Perspective

by Sean McGarry

    The coronavirus pandemic has utterly changed the dynamics of human life.  From two weeks to 10 months, generally monotonous and bare, daily routines have lost their dynamic ways.  On the contrary, the world has learned to utilize technology to maintain certain aspects of normalcy.  One group of people most highly affected by Governor Murphy’s Stay-at-Home Order are students and teachers.  Attending school in person gives students the opportunity to socialize with peers, while also obtaining knowledge from their teachers and administrators.  Although unaccustomed originally, schools gradually excelled and now have the ability to execute effective instruction.  In our current times, here is a day in the life of a Biotech student.

    7:00 A.M. - At around this time, I awaken and begin my morning routine.  Early mornings are typically calm, so after getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I sit on the back porch for a few minutes.  My backyard space is relatively dim, so the Sun vaguely peaks through the trees, spawning a luminous glow.  During the warmer months, the pool is also opened. As a refresher, I will either wade my feet in the water, or just skim the surface to ensure that it is in impeccable condition for my family and me to swim in the coming hours.  In general, the serenity of nature allows me to release any stress from the previous night and zero in on my plans for the day.


    7:40 A.M. - I will head upstairs to prepare for my online classes.  In doing this, I will simultaneously straighten my room (Forget privacy!).  This might entail making the bed or clearing off the desk to accommodate for my computer.  Oftentimes, I will restart the household router because of its inability to reach peak productivity for varying electronics it must support throughout the day.  After I am fully situated, I promptly organize any notebooks or files for proper note-taking.  It now is time for class.


    10:15 A.M. - This marks the start of lunch, or in my case, a free period for productivity.  Aside from club meetings, I treat the lunch period as a time to interact with peers or complete any work/studying, in order to prevent me from procrastinating later (which unfortunately happens frequently).

    2:05 P.M. - At last, classes have ended.  Depending on the season, I will need to leave for a sports practice or game at around 2:30.  Due to this limited amount of time, my lunch includes anything from a sandwich to a salad.  Sports during this pandemic are very divergent from the norm.  Taking into account the amount of sanitation and monitoring required to secure safety, I try to arrive at these events early (which is difficult, because the public high school runs on a totally different schedule than Biotech) to both mentally and physically prepare for the match or game.  These extracurriculars, in essence, are my only source of in-person socialization, so I make sure to not focus on the hapless aspects, but rather, appreciate the progression of activity since March.


    6:00 P.M. - By now, I have returned home and hopped into a shower.  Dinner is nearly ready, so I set the table for my family to eat.  We try to convene at the dinner table together every day, but this doesn’t always transpire as planned because of my brother’s rampant sports schedule.


    7:00 P.M. - It’s time to work.  Although seemingly quick, the deceptive computer holds many assignments that have not been completed.  That being said, a usual homework night will last until about 11:30, considering the classes that I have the next day and tests that need supplemental study time.  I tend to incorporate many intermittent break periods into my homework schedule, which last anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes.  This mental rest allows me to reach out to friends for a couple minutes and converse about anything that happened throughout the day.  Though I intend to keep a set schedule, every week is prone to a certain test sequence or a culmination of assignments that constrain me from taking breaks, and to that end, keeps me awake far later than midnight.  These nights are dreadful, but concentration is the key to managing both time and stress.


    11:45 P.M. - The day has come to an end.  I habitually plug in all of the devices, before settling down in bed to sleep.  Looks like we all need a recharge!



References:

Rozanas, Adam. “Science: Mask Your Computer to Protect It Against Viruses.” MIX 94.9, Mix 94.9, 21 July 2020, mix949.com/science-mask-your-computer-to-protect-it-against-viruses/.