Poetry for wandering thoughts


 by Natalie Dundas

your own secret place (Pinterest, retrieved 3.13.21)

if you understand this, do something

when you hit me 

and told me to run 

I thought it would last an eternity

that the look in your glossed eyes 

would forever dance through me 

and I opened my mouth 

and everyone wondered why 

I didn't let you shut me up.


you told everyone to be quiet 

you thought you were entitled 

and that you think it's justified 

and it went back and forth 

and I crouched down and sobbed 

and I let every ounce of my being seep onto the marbled tile 

of the house that I am dying in.

I know that this is not beautiful.



Small beings 

I sit up staring at my ceiling

the rain plucking at my skylights 

evey chord strummed by the little droplets felt 

within my chest

I realize that I'm sitting in my bed 

as if i'm in a movie

I realize that I look like a fool,

the strange sense of hopelessness sinks into my chest

and I smile; 

we are all fools.



Experience

We are all compilations of 

experiences;

of who we believe we should be.

We are simply

originally 

unoriginal.



The world's woman

She has to be thin enough 

To sit on his lap

But curvy enough 

So that even her silhouette is accepted 

And young girls grow up hearing that 

They are just more mature

Than the boys that are excused

And we wonder why 

Women do not speak up

When mothers and fathers 

Bear girls 

That grow into women 

who accept love that 

Looks like their parents’

And when she is standing in a courthouse 

Pointing at another little boy 

She is held with suspicion 

Because how could she 

Allow herself 

To a man that was 

Never held accountable

should she hate this man?

For he is a narcissistic byproduct of the world’s ignorance 

That would only hurt someone else anyways.