Debunking BTHS Myths

by Laura Xie

Source: https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/post/myth-or-fact-spice-marijuana

 

As the 2020-2021 school year comes to an end, many incoming freshmen are frantically preparing themselves for the transition to Biotech. If this is you, perhaps you’re worrying yourself over some negative myths, stereotypes, or misconceptions about Biotech. I say: don’t worry. Many of the rumors you hear about this school are false. Here, I debunk four of the most common myths about freshman year at BTHS (since I’m still a freshman!), and rehash some general BTHS advice along the way. Just as a disclaimer though, I’m addressing these myths solely from my own observations and experiences, so some may not agree with me whatsoever!


Myth #1: The workload at Biotech will be unbearable!


I’m starting off with probably the most widely believed myth about Biotech. How do I know that it’s such a popular one? It’s because this is one I (and many others) strongly anticipated to be true. While this myth may or may not not be true for my peers, I’m telling you this from my personal experience. During my first few months at Biotech, I found myself very stressed and overwhelmed by homework assignments and upcoming test dates. The workload was especially challenging because of the virtual environment. However, as I became more accustomed to the Biotech routine (for example, the kind of work I was expected to complete, and the different ways I needed to prepare for exams) my experience became much easier. The most difficult part about transitioning into high school, especially this high school, is finding a rhythm. A rhythm of balance and stability. But, once you do, you’ll be liberated from a lot of your stress. This does not mean that being a student here is necessarily simple, but it will be significantly easier once you adapt to the Biotech environment!


Myth #2: Freshman year at Biotech will be a piece of cake. 


This is a myth my friend told me she’d believed before going to BTHS. You might have noticed that this myth is essentially contradicting the first one, and you might be asking: “If one statement is false, then its opposite must be true, right?” That’s not the case here; both of these myths are not completely true, even if there are some underlying truths in each. Freshman year here at Biotech was, as I’ve mentioned earlier, challenging at first. But I’ve overcome many obstacles as I’ve familiarized myself with the school. However, that does not mean my first year here was easy. Compared to my experience in middle school, my tests were exponentially more difficult, and the material I was expected to learn was demanding (especially the sciences!). Plus, even after adjusting to Biotech’s rhythm, I still struggle with time management and juggling all of my assignments and activities outside of school. 


Myth #3: The small student body at Biotech makes it impossible to make friends. 


With grades here averaging about 80 students each, many new Biotechers will likely conclude that it’s difficult or even impossible to find compatible friends. It’s a reasonable conclusion; after all, there are hundreds less students in each grade at Biotech than at your home high schools. However, this myth is far from the truth! Even in the completely virtual environment I was in this year, I was able to meet many new friends just through group projects. You will have plenty of opportunities to bond with your peers: the hour-long lunch break, group activities in every class, and more. 


If you’re more concerned with the diversity of students (in regards to diverse personalities, interests, etc.), then don’t fret either! Every student here is vastly different from the next, and inevitably an intriguing person once you get to know them. I can guarantee that you’ll find your crowd at Biotech, even if it takes some time. Regardless of the friendliness of the students or the size of the student body, some may find it more difficult to find their crowd than others. But from what I’ve seen, my friends from middle school have also been successful at meeting new people and creating wonderful friendships. The small community at Biotech can also be viewed as one of its best factors! My older brother attended another small vocational school, and he said that he thoroughly knew everyone in his grade by the time he graduated. It’s basically a family!


Myth #4: BTHS will be very boring. 

Because of its record of high academic proficiency, people who have yet to attend BTHS associate it with dullness. I thought this too, but I was proven wrong immediately! The school organizes a ton of entertaining events; for example, the Battle of the Academies, where the MCVSD schools compete against each other to decide which school is truly the best. My class council even organized an Among Us tournament last fall, when the game was super popular (yes, student feedback and involvement is of the utmost importance in Biotech). There is also a wide variety of clubs you can join. This year, I’ve decided to focus primarily on one club: newspaper club (which is how you’re reading this right now). All clubs, however, are gateways to great academic opportunities, as well as chances to meet people with similar interests as you!