Reflecting on Freshman Year

by Anika Ajgaonkar, Gabrielle Alli, Natalie Dundas, Gabriella Kiernan, and Nicholas Wang

our first year attending this school (kinda)

A Fresh Start

The first year of high school is an intimidating, but exciting experience for everyone. Many students take this new chapter as an opportunity to branch out of their home districts and try something new. That’s what many of us who chose to come to Biotech did, leaving behind the hometown schools we’ve known for so long. With that choice comes many new obstacles: meeting new people, getting used to new systems, and just trying to get by. And with pandemic restrictions adding onto all of this, it made for a pretty unique year for Biotech freshmen. Each of us writing this come from different towns (Holmdel, Aberdeen, Tinton Falls, Union Beach, Marlboro) and have had diverse experiences since starting school here.

What has getting to know people and making friends been like?

Anika Ajgaonkar [Holmdel]: I had been nervous that making new friends in Biotech would be difficult because all the students are from different towns, but I was glad to be proven wrong. I’m from Holmdel, so I knew close to 10 other students coming into Biotech. I also knew a handful of upperclassmen from other towns, so this definitely helped ease some of the nerves I had about going to a new school. Still, I didn’t know the majority of the kids in my grade, and the fact that we were learning virtually certainly didn’t help. However, features like breakout rooms and group projects were key to making friends for me this year. I’m sure that once I start attending school in person I’ll get even more opportunities to make new friends!

Gabrielle Alli [Aberdeen]: Coming into Biotech, I pretty much didn’t know anyone. Most of my past experience making friends had happened through clubs and being in the same classes as other people back in my hometown, but COVID made that strategy just a bit more difficult to carry out. However, breakout rooms and club Google meets still prevailed and I was able to meet people. I’m happy to say that I’ve found a few good friends here over the course of this year.

Natalie Dundas [Tinton Falls]: Personally, making friends has been hard; not in the sense that I have not found likeable people, but I just don't know if I have truly clicked with anybody yet. That in itself, is not a problem significant to Biotech, but most teenagers. I am from Tinton Falls, and I'm the only person from that town in our grade, so that aspect has been challenging. There are so many open-minded and brilliant individuals at Biotech though, and I have realized that most seem to be a pocket of knowledge and warmth. I knew about 2 people coming into the school, one of which was a childhood friend that I still haven't really seen, and the other is a sophomore who I have grown a lot closer with. I think this helped in making the school feel a lot less theoretical, as it did for me.

Gabriella Kiernan [Union Beach]: I come from Union Beach, and as someone coming from a small town, it was very hard to make friends. Like most kids from smaller towns, I was the only freshman from Union Beach, and I knew almost no one that went to Biotech, let alone anyone who was in my class. I was really shocked that so many people already knew each other and that so many kids from one town could be in the same grade. I felt left out, but I got more comfortable talking to people as the year went on. It's still difficult making friends in an online environment, but I've gotten to know the kids in my class very well, and I'm excited to meet the rest of the freshmen next year.

Nicholas Wang [Marlboro]: My overall experience making friends in Biotechnology High School has been smooth and insightful. I am originally from East Brunswick, New Jersey which is up north, but I moved to Marlboro in the summer after seventh grade, so I didn’t really grow up in Monmouth County. But within Biotech, it's been fairly easy making friends, because so many people in Biotech share the same interests. I knew a couple people from Marlboro before coming into Biotech, but making new friends was very easy due to similar beliefs.

What has the academic pace and style of Biotech been like, compared to your middle school?

Anika Ajgaonkar: Compared to my middle school, the academic pace and style definitely feel more rigorous, but that much was to be expected. However, the workload was something the teachers eased the students into, so it didn’t become suddenly overwhelming at the beginning of the year. I do feel that my middle school gave me a good foundation for the topics I began learning in high school, and I am very grateful for that. One thing that was especially challenging, however, was the separation of science subjects like biology and chemistry that had previously been taught all in one course. However, I find that I have a greater appreciation for each subject now that I’m learning them separately!

Gabrielle Alli: I took maybe one or two fast-paced classes back in middle school. Those were nothing compared to the pace of classes at Biotech. Every class here provides its own unique challenges that push me to sharpen my study skills and take a more active role in learning. Even though it can be stressful at times, there’s still a sense of satisfaction when all the hard work pays off. And for each class, I can say that I’m learning something new everyday and my time spent in them is definitely worthwhile.

Natalie Dundas: Compared to middle school, Biotech is a lot more than I have been used to. My middle school was pretty reasonable with work, and I usually managed pretty well. I have always been the type of person who budgets time very well, especially from a young age, so managing the quantity of work here has not been super challenging. However, if you are someone that has a hard time with prioritizing and time management, you will probably improve a lot by the end of freshman year. I know that I have definitely matured in being able to handle the amount of things I have to do, school in conjugation with personal commitments. Despite the current hybrid setting, I believe that we would be doing more work if circumstances were more normal, and that things would probably be more hands-on than they are now, so I am not really sure if I can say that I have experienced the full BTHS freshman experience, but have definitely learned a lot. There are definitely times when I know that I should have probably been more prepared coming from middle school, just because we are learning chemistry and biology, both of which were pretty much cut off in my school's curriculum due to COVID. In certain subjects, you have to be prepared to demonstrate what you understand, and in all subjects, be prepared to make mistakes. Academically, I have found that the first 1/3 of the school year was the most challenging, as I was still transitioning into school life, and highschool life as well.

Gabriella Kiernan: Compared to my middle school, the academic pace is much faster and more rigorous, which I expected coming into Biotech. In middle school, I was used to much less work, and I barely had to study to get good grades in my classes. It was difficult at first to get used to having higher quantities of more challenging work. Learning how to properly study so much new material at once was hard, but I got used to most of the classes and I have learned how to manage my workload. For the most part, everything I learned in my classes was completely new to me. The only classes I already knew some things from were Spanish and biology, and the material was much more in-depth than what I learned in middle school.

Nicholas Wang: The academic experience at Biotech compared to Marlboro Middle School are two strikingly different worlds. At MMS (Marlboro Middle School) the classwork and overall school load was not intense at all compared to Biotech, usually one could put in half the effort needed to get everything done. On the other hand, the Biotech academic experience is much heavier and requires actual dedication and motivation to finish all of the coursework. 

How have Biotech clubs and extracurriculars added to your experience?

Anika Ajgaonkar: Since I’m learning virtually, I was quite disappointed that I would be missing out on much of the high school experience I had been looking forward to. Clubs were a way of supplementing and enhancing my experience since I’m spending it all at home, and also a way for me to get to know my upperclassmen! Because Biotech is more of a science school, clubs are the only way to pursue interests in other fields that aren’t covered in our curriculum. Personally, I love writing, so the Newspaper Club has been an outlet for my creativity when I don’t get a chance to express it in many other classes. Other clubs such as SOS and the Environmental Club have also been very enjoyable, and the volunteer opportunities and ways I’ve been able to give back to the school and community through these clubs is fantastic. 

Gabrielle Alli: I joined a few clubs, including yearbook, SOS, newspaper, and GSA. I decided to go for an officer position in yearbook which I’ve enjoyed thus far; it’s forced me to go outside of my comfort zone in reaching out to people for pictures and for collaborative work. It’s also helped me meet new people outside of our grade. I’ve always loved volunteer work, so opportunities provided by SOS have also been exciting. My favorite part about each of the clubs I’ve joined is how they’ve allowed me to integrate my other interests into school, especially the ones not centered around sciences.

Natalie Dundas: I think clubs at BTHS are extremely diverse, and that there are options for a lot of people. I have not greatly participated in many clubs, but from the ones that I have, I can tell that they are extremely well organized. There is genuinely a lot of effort put forth by students and staff members when it comes to clubs, as it seems that the key components of these groups are never impassioned. I strongly recommend participating in clubs and extracurriculars, as they are great opportunities to bond with new people and gain new knowledge and experience. Things have obviously been different, but I cannot wait until in person clubs are started as "normally" as possible.

Gabriella Kiernan: The clubs and extracurriculars have been different than normal this year, but they've allowed me to get to know people from the other grades at Biotech. I've been involved in yearbook, newspaper, and environmental club, which has given me an interest in plants that I haven't had in a while. While I was in a lot more clubs at my old school, the clubs at Biotech are different than the ones at most middle schools. They are also a lot harder to do online for both the teachers and the students, so I hope that next year they will be able to be more fun and social like I'm sure they normally are. Being in clubs has been fun and I've been able to meet people other than the kids I go to classes with.

Nicholas Wang: Clubs and other extracurriculars that have been offered by Biotech have truly shaped my freshman year. Even though Covid-19 has kept us from going in person, I have managed to join JSA, Academic Team, as well as contribute to The Helix. All of these clubs offer unique opportunities to just have fun and create a more well-rounded experience at Biotech.

What are some things, if anything, you miss from your hometown district?

Anika Ajgaonkar: Definitely, the thing I miss most is my friends. Although I was absolutely thrilled to have gotten admission into Biotech, it was bittersweet having to leave so many of my friends behind. I consider myself lucky to actually have a couple friends that also went to Biotech, so I’m not all alone! By leaving for a vocational school, I also don’t get the chance to see old teachers in the hallway and catch up with them the way other students can. I had a lot of great middle school teachers, such as my Spanish teacher, who I was very close with, and I likely won’t get to meet with any of them again unless I reach out to them by email. I also miss the delicious, high quality cafeteria food from my hometown, which made lunch time with my friends that much better! There was always something tasty to look forward to every day at lunch, and there have been days I wished I could have that food again.

Gabrielle Alli: Two things I miss would probably be some of the people I used to be in classes with as well as language classes. Luckily, I have been able to stay in touch with some of my friends from my hometown, but there are quite a few that I lost touch with or wouldn’t have talked to much outside of classes. I used to take French back in middle school which I really enjoyed and wish I could’ve continued. However, I do stay in touch with my French teacher and sometimes tutor students taking her class. I think I really just have a love for language, and I have a close sense of gratification learning Spanish. Despite missing these little things, I still believe I made the right choice to switch districts.

Natalie Dundas: The things that I have missed from my hometown school are very few. I do miss the kids that I grew up with, and I am almost completely cut off from them. I hate bringing it up, but COVID put a dent in many of my friendships, and I have not maintained a lot of close relationships with those that I went to school with. Sometimes, I wish I had made more effort to maintain these relationships, but I also find peace knowing that I am where I am meant to be, and that I am surrounded by like minded individuals. As cocky as it may sound, I believe that I would not be challenged in the right way at my home high school, and that I can make similar, if not better friendships here. If it is very important to you and said people, maintaining friendships is usually very doable. I also would like to point out that you do not have to pick between your hometown friends and vocational friends, as the world is not that black-and-white most of the time. Biotech seems to be pretty "cliquey" and people often feel the need to box themselves into groups and niches, however (as hard as it can be) try to maintain open to new friends and relationships. 

Gabriella Kiernan: One thing I miss from my hometown school district is already knowing everyone. The class sizes at Biotech aren't much bigger than my middle school's classes, but coming from a town whose only school is Pre-K through eighth grade, I'm used to knowing all of my teachers and classmates before the school year even begins. I had met most of my teachers years before I had them, and I had already been with my classmates for years, so it was hard to adjust to coming to a place where I don't know what most of the teachers or students are like. Another thing I miss is sports, which I feel is a more universal experience for students going to any of the vocational schools. I'm not the most athletic person, but I played and managed some sports in middle school and had fun doing it. It was also fun having the whole school rooting for the same team and going to games with my friends. The final thing I miss is not having friends from the same town as me. In middle school, I never needed a ride to hang out with my friends since we all lived in the same small town, but at Biotech, in order to see classmates outside of school, you'll most likely need to drive.

Nicholas Wang: Even though my time at MMS was relatively short due to Covid 19, I still feel like there is a lot I miss from Marlboro. Were we at a normal high school, we would have a great athletic environment that I miss. Unfortunately, since Biotech does not offer athletics, we may never get to enjoy a Biotech football game.

What advice do you have for incoming freshmen? Anything else you’d like to share?

Anika Ajgaonkar: For incoming freshmen, my best piece of advice would be not to panic or become super nervous about starting high school. I’ve been there before, and becoming so anxious only hurt me. The teachers and upperclassmen are all there to help you for your first year, so you can adjust and really get a feel for what high school is like! Don’t fear what is to come, but instead rest assured that the routine will soon become familiar and enjoy every step of the way. I highly recommend that new students learn how to manage their time after school, especially if they have extracurriculars, to avoid the stress that comes with staying up late to finish it and procrastination. I also want to remind any incoming freshmen how important it is to prioritize your health and wellbeing. Despite all the stress that school can bring and the effects it can have on your health, like losing precious hours of sleep that in turn impacts your ability to perform well throughout the day, you should find ways to still enjoy yourself. This is especially true when you’re being swamped by work—taking a break in fresh air or spending time with friends and family can do more than you think. Practice self-care every once in a while and don’t forget to breathe! I hope that this way, you can make your time at Biotechnology High School as fruitful and rewarding as possible.

Gabrielle Alli: For incoming freshmen, I would say to take your time and let things fall into place. Biotech is a completely new environment for you and most of your other classmates, and it’ll take time to get used to. That’s alright, and your teachers are here to help. Also, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. It’s nerve-wracking but allow yourself to try new things and enjoy yourself throughout the course of your first year.

Natalie Dundas: Some advice that I have for incoming freshmen is that firstly, I am so proud of you for pushing to get into Biotech! In general, do not be afraid to fail, to get a low mark on an exam, to feel frustrated or scared, because it all seems to be something we have experienced. Know your limits, and try to understand when you need a break, and do not ever feel like you need to live up to crazy expectations: you are human, and you are going to make mistakes. You do not owe anything, or any success to anybody here but yourself, and focusing on doing the best you can (academically, physically, and emotionally) should always be a priority. I would recommend keeping track of assignments and events, because you will most likely miss details or assignments if you try to rely on memory alone: that might have worked in middle school, but most likely not in highschool of any kind. In addition, try to enjoy life, and remember not to take everything as seriously as possible.

Gabriella Kiernan: One piece of advice I have for incoming freshmen is to be patient and open to new experiences. If I'm being honest, school wasn't very fun at first. I felt intimidated because the classes were harder and it seemed like everyone somehow knew each other already. But, after a few months, it became a lot more fun. I began to feel much more comfortable with my classes and I grew to love meeting new people. Especially with online learning, the process of getting to know others took a lot longer than usual, but I waited it out, and now going to school is more enjoyable. A final thing I want to share about my experience at Biotech so far is that it made me a much more outgoing person. I was very shy coming into this school, but now I feel more comfortable being myself. Being with people I didn't know forced me to be more social than I was before, and now I love talking to others.

Nicholas Wang: There are several pieces of advice I would like to give to incoming freshmen. Firstly, don’t stress that you won’t make any friends because of the smaller student base; once school starts you’ll really get to know them well. Also, it's a great idea to go participate in sports and/or clubs, because they really enrich your Biotech experience.

To Wrap Things Up...

So yes, freshman year is tumultuous. But it’s also a time to make a couple memories, a couple friends, and even a couple mistakes. Though it may sound cliché, this first year is truly what you make of it. And it seems to have turned out okay, despite this year’s unique obstacles. The most important thing about high school, at least from the little we’ve seen so far, is to have patience with the process. After all, there’s still three more years to go!