Teacher Interview with Mr. Arpa

by Gabrielle Alli & Nicholas Wang


Mr. Arpa teaches history courses to both freshmen and sophomores.

For The Helix’s back-to-school edition, BTHS’s very own Mr. Arpa sat down with students to let us know a bit about himself and his teaching. Huge thanks to him for taking the time to speak with us!


How long have you been teaching and which subjects? 

“I’ve been teaching my whole life, but officially it rounds to about 10 years. It is my second career, and I’ve spent the first 40 years of my life doing something else. I came here because a lot of people recommended it to me. I wrote to the author of Patriots of America, and he told me to be a history teacher. So I retired from my business, got an education degree, and became a history teacher. It is hard to find a teaching position, but I have a license to teach English in middle schools, and World Cultures and US I have been the two history courses.” 


What made you pursue history? 

“Probably my high school teachers. I had four guys that taught me history. I think that two of them stick out more to me. One was Western Civilization and the other was a US 2 course. And somehow they got my ear and I enjoyed taking notes in class, listening to the lectures. I think it's because I find people, human beings, interesting. Sometimes, I feel like I can look down on the human race and observe them from the outside. There's no formula for human behavior, we do the best we can to figure out how people will be and react to things. So I think the love of people and some great history teachers back in high school.” 


What has been one of your favorite moments in teaching? 

 “When a student comes up to me, and does a ‘because of you’ moment. It might be two years after you had them, they recall something from the class. For example, ‘It’s because of you that I found a love for the Constitution and I like to read what's going on.’ I think the best thing is anytime a student comes back and shows you that they picked up or learned something from you and shares a moment that they really enjoyed.”


What's your favorite thing about Biotech or the MCVSD district?

“The students are the greatest part of Biotech. I remember being in high school and being very nerdy and withdrawn. And in my day, no one really considered how students felt about certain things. Sometimes it's slow for the freshman, and this year for the sophomores. You can just see the camaraderie between the seniors and juniors. This happens the best at Biotech compared to the rest of the MCVSD district. This camaraderie is what I enjoy the most. Regarding the district, that it’s a place for special students to go. My son came through High Tech years ago, and it was a wonderful thing. If he had to go to standard high school, he wouldn't have done as well. It’s a good avenue for those that can get in.”


Which part of history do you consider to be the most fun to teach?

“This changes. Right now, it has to be the Renaissance, as it is a part of World Cultures. I really try to emphasize the culture in it. It’s crazy because everything happened during the Renaissance. Europeans travel across the world, getting on ships and traveling. There’s beautiful artwork. Scientific innovation and the Protestant Reformation played an important role in this period. The American Revolution is another favorite, not so much the battles, but the thought process behind it. Ideas like liberty and self government play a huge role in America and still influence us to this day.


If you could go back in time and visit any time period in history, what would it be and why?

“Maybe during the Westward Expansion, what it was like in the nineteenth century. To be brave and hungry and want your freedoms and liberties, so maybe early America. I think traveling west and pioneering is one of the most interesting time periods I would like to visit.”


What’s the funniest thing that has happened in class?

“Hmm, give me one second to think. My most enjoyable thing, if funny and enjoyable are interchangeable, is seeing the talent in the Biotech students. The A&E club puts on a play, and watching the production of it, or the singing and the instruments and the dancing; those, I think, are my most enjoyable things that I like at Biotech.”


Do you have any advice for the freshmen this year, or even students who are newly in-person?

“Get to know people. Open up a little bit. Don’t be afraid, open up, get to know people, get to know your teachers. It’ll all benefit you as you go through the next few years.”