Reflecting on Sophomore Year

by Anika Ajgaonkar, Gabrielle Alli, Natalie Dundas, Gabriella Kiernan, and Nicholas Wang



Sophomore Year

Take 2! After an usual freshman year, the class of 2024 all returned in person to complete our sophomore year. There have certainly been ups and downs, and bumps along the road, but it’s still bittersweet to say goodbye. The same group from last year’s “Reflecting on Freshmen Year” have returned to write about some of the most impactful experiences we’ve had during our second year at BTHS.


What was the hardest thing about transitioning from virtual Biotech to in-person Biotech?

Anika Ajgaonkar [Holmdel]: For me, it was definitely getting used to the commute time (and the subsequent impact on my sleep). One way, my bus travel time is about 40 to 45 minutes. Virtual school, though deficient in many other ways, was helpful in that I could get a little more shut-eye on the weekdays than I do now. The sleep deprivation I feel can be really intense sometimes, and I occasionally wish I could skip the long commute if it meant another hour to rest.

Gabrielle Alli [Aberdeen]: The most difficult thing about transitioning from virtual to in-person was putting myself out there socially. I knew very few people, since I come from a smaller town and was entirely virtual during freshman year. There was a short period where I sat wherever I could for lunch and didn’t talk to many people in class. Due to Biotech’s inherent friendly nature, I eventually found my people without having to put much effort in at all.

Natalie Dundas [Tinton Falls]: I think that because I was in-person last year, the transition was actually really smooth for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed experiencing Biotech at a level that it may have been before Covid-19. The only thing different from being in person last year was to know the number of people I see daily, and I feel much more close to the rest of the school, as individuals.

Gabriella Kiernan [Union Beach]: The hardest thing about the transition to in-person school is definitely the workload. I was used to open-note tests, shorter classes, and constant free periods. I did not learn how to actually memorize what I learned. Getting back my motivation to actually study took me a while to do.

Nicholas Wang [Marlboro]: The hardest thing, for me personally, was trying to figure out how to get back into a study mindset. I needed to get myself back on track, and this meant carefully figuring out how to study again. This process was not linear and expedient, which resulted in complications, including an assortment of failed tests in Precalc and Spanish. Currently, I’ve been working on new study methods which don't include procrastination, which I will do later.


What is your fondest memory from this school year?

Anika Ajgaonkar: Probably Battle of the Classes. Working with my friends and grade to win at different events, showing our class spirit, and even getting ambushed by the seniors in the morning were all such joyous memories for me and a much-appreciated break from the monotony of school. Especially since I was unable to experience BOTC properly my freshman year due to the pandemic, this year’s festivities felt extra special.

Gabrielle Alli: My fondest memory from this school year was Powderpuff. I’m not much of a sports person, but it was so entertaining to watch all my friends play football outside. I especially enjoyed the cheer competition; no matter what anyone says, the sophomore lifts were perfect. My favorite part of it was sitting in the lobby with a couple of friends to calm down and just laughing together for a little while.

Natalie Dundas: My fondest memory from this year was probably BOTC - it was all around a super fun experience. Winning elections and spending free periods with my friends has been a treat.

Gabriella Kiernan: My fondest memory from this school year is definitely Powderpuff. Even though I had no idea what I was doing, and the game was rigged, I had so much fun playing football with my friends. On top of that, watching the boys attempt to do a cheer routine was also very entertaining.

Nicholas Wang: My fondest memory from this school year would have to be Halloween. Being an academically oriented school, I had not expected this school to have a playful side toward it. Neither did I prepare myself to go to school wearing a skirt, which is something I believed that I would never do. If you went back in time and told 10 year old Nick Wang he wore a skirt to school, he’d be genuinely confused.


Is there any sophomore teacher that has impacted you? If so, how?

Anika Ajgaonkar: Though all of the teachers have impacted me to a degree, Mrs. Engstrom’s Molecular and Agricultural Biotechnology (MAB) class taught me so many things I had never heard of before. It piqued my interest in the sciences even further than before and left me curious to learn more. Mrs. Engstrom also has a very friendly, approachable nature that contrasts the difficulty level of the course. It was definitely challenging, but I don’t think I can forget how enriching MAB was for me or how well Mrs. Engstrom helped us grasp the content.

Gabrielle Alli: Mrs. MacLean has really impacted me. She had me online during freshman year, when I was more timid and still hesitant to ask questions. However, I tried my hardest to persevere because I was committed to learning. Not only did her Lab Skills class during sophomore year push me academically, but it also taught me to advocate for myself. She recognized my growth and encouraged me to continue down the road I’ve started on. I’m very happy to have experienced her mentorship throughout the BTLS research project. Her advice has stuck with me throughout this whole school year and will likely continue to do so throughout my time at Biotech.

Natalie Dundas: In all honesty, every class and its teacher has greatly affected me. However, on a personal level, I feel that Mrs. Engstrom has been a great influence to me. Her class is my favorite, and the level of understanding and passion she has about science in general is admirable. I enjoy our theoretical, biological conversations. Along with Mrs. Engstrom, Mrs. Oygenblik has pushed me in Math - my least favorite subject. However, the respect and dedication she has shown each of her students is probably one of the reasons why I work so hard in that class.

Gabriella Kiernan: I think all of my teachers this year have impacted me in some way, but Mrs. Engstrom is one that I’ve found truly cares about her students and listens to them. I’ve never felt scared to approach her or to make mistakes in her class, and she allows us to ask questions and have fun. Her class is a good balance between having fun and learning, and I feel comfortable talking to her.

Nicholas Wang: Mr. Arpa has to be the most impactful teacher that I’ve had throughout my time at BTHS. I remember his colorful lectures during online school that would pique my interest in history. Being myself, I never really considered history to be an interesting topic, but due to Mr. Arpa, I’ve developed a profound appreciation for the subject.


What are you hopeful for in junior year?

Anika Ajgaonkar: I hope that I will be able to grow further and prove myself in junior year. The prospect of starting the IB program is scary, but what is junior year if not without challenges? There is more expected leadership, more testing, and more responsibility. Junior year, often reputed as the most difficult and important year for college applications, also marks a new era of growth as a teenager. So much will be new as of next year, and I hope I can rise to the occasion and embrace the changes.

Gabrielle Alli: I’m hopeful to explore more aspects of science next year. Many of the electives offered by BTHS revolve around specific fields of biology. I’ve always been interested in cellular biology and genomics. I also hope to get more involved in extracurriculars such as yearbook and SGA where I’ll be pursuing leadership positions. It’s going to be difficult to balance everything with IB courses but I think it’ll be satisfying in the end.

Natalie Dundas: In junior year, I’m excited to work with my fellow SGA and SOS officers, and continue to spend more time with the rest of my friends. I hope all goes well - it being junior year and all, but I know I will push myself, and I am excited to see what I can accomplish.

Gabriella Kiernan: I am hopeful that I will be able to adjust to IB classes and that I will enjoy the electives I get selected for. The transition from sophomore to junior year brings a lot more change than any other year, and I hope that I learn to adapt.

Nicholas Wang: I am hopeful that I can continue my career at BTHS without failing all my classes. The idea of the International Baccalaureate terrifies me, and therefore I am hopeful that my study methods will prevail in this titanic fight. Secondly, Spanish gives me hope because I am just so passionate for EspaƱa and Hispanic culture as a whole.


What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?

Anika Ajgaonkar: Learn to prioritize! If there’s one thing that I’ve learned over the past two years, it’s that you won’t be able to do it all. Between school academics, extracurriculars, social activities, family responsibilities, and more, you will likely feel overwhelmed at some point. But your health should always take priority (a lesson that took me a while to learn). Let go of the activities that simply take up your time without offering much in return. Make sure you’re sleeping enough, and have a good laugh once in a while. Developing these habits and boundaries early will pay off in your later years of high school.

Gabrielle Alli: Don’t be afraid to try new things. Get involved in a few clubs that seem interesting or even just unfamiliar. You don’t have to stay committed to every club, but it does enhance your personal high school experience to be part of a couple of activities. Personally, my favorite moments from school have come from random volunteering opportunities on days I happen to be free. These four years are the perfect time to figure out what you’re passionate about.

Natalie Dundas: For incoming freshmen…
  • Do not clog the hallways
  • Do not offend your teachers
  • Never be afraid to ask any questions - you’ll learn, someone else in that class will learn, and you’ll keep your teachers teaching
  • Take organized and accessible notes - and don’t throw them away
  • Run for any position you want or think you would do well in
  • Join clubs, and try to meet new people
  • Buy a good calculator
  • Appreciate your education
Gabriella Kiernan: I know everyone says this, but develop good studying habits. I went into freshman year thinking I could coast by without studying because that is how it was in middle school, but I underestimated how much more difficult the work would be. These bad studying habits were also hard to break, especially because of online learning, and they carried into my sophomore year.

Nicholas Wang: Build good relationships with teachers and classmates; everyone here at school is approachable and friendly. Also, pay attention to what goes on in class. I would advise not falling asleep in class because, surprisingly, there are consequences. Some courses require a bit more attention than others, but this is all based on personal academic orientations.


To Wrap Things Up...

Sophomore year was a huge leap, especially following the pandemic and an atypical introduction to high school. It seems that things did turn out well in face of all the stress, piling assignments, and relentless due dates. There were fond memories made and smiles on each of our faces as BTHS closes out the 2021-2022 school year. For the class of 2024: two years down, two more to go.