Teacher Interview with Ms. Engstrom

 by Gabrielle Alli and Nicholas Wang

As BTHS closes out the 2021-2022 school year, our very own Ms. Engstrom sat down with students to reflect. Huge thanks to her for a lovely conversation!


With the completion of this school year, how long have you been teaching at Biotech? Which subjects have you taught?

“This is my sixth year at Biotech. I’ve taught Molecular & Agricultural Biotech, Health 2 for sophomores, as well as Biotech Seminar for one semester last year. I think next year, I’ll be teaching Genomics which I am very excited for.”


What is your favorite thing about Biotech?

“I really like the sense of community that you get here. I see that with students, I see that with my colleagues. I think it’s something special, so I do like that.”


Looking back at this year, are there any particular moments that stand out to you?

“The coolest moment that I had with students was when we had the Chill Session after school. It was just a small group of sophomores and we ended up playing volleyball for a couple of hours outside. It was a nice bonding experience. I really enjoyed that.”


What are you looking forward to in the 2022-2023 school year? What are you hopeful for?

“I’m really looking forward to developing a new course I’m teaching next year, Genomics. I am most hopeful for the fact that the current freshman will come in next year knowing each other. When the sophomores came in this year, they didn’t really know each other. So it was a learning experience just to have everyone back into the building for the first time. I am excited they (freshmen) will already have these connections formed.”


Do you have any advice for our incoming freshmen? For your future students?

“I would say, make connections with people. Be okay with becoming slightly more outgoing, or just trying to make more connections. Make connections with teachers, counselors, and even Principal Bryant. Other people are going to help you understand the resources we have here, and they’ll be a great support system for you.”