Freedom - A Short Collection Of Poems

 


    by Natalie Dundas


She 


She can tell you stories

Of how she ran towards nothing 

Gravel squirming beneath her bare feet

Jagged steps and tempoless breath 

Pounding in her ears


Stories about her failures;

of her pink childhood 

Or the time she felt beautiful- so grown up

She can tell you all of it 


While she sits delicately 

With perfect posture 

gold jewelry kissing her skin

And loose hair framing her face


She sits quietly 

Carefully 

Calculating 

Passive thoughts scrambling her mind

A hand shakes 

A twirl of her hair

between her perfectly manicured fingers

And oh boy

Is she running  



2010


Ugly plaid shorts 

Frilly coral blouses 

Cheap putty lipgloss

Stealing makeup five shades too dark

Coloring ferociously 

Arguing vehemently 

Standing for the pledge 

Green frogs and little toads 

Jumping, jittering, and speaking in tongues

They did not think I would understand

Munchkins with candles 

And fits of laughter

Running to the shoreline 

Wringing sand from my bathing suit - don’t let it fall on the floor!

Sheets of music 

Calloused fingers

When Fridays guaranteed no homework 

And fireflies made my hands smell funny 

When the night came too quickly 

And I reluctantly showered 

For the day ahead 

When I fell so hard 

I wondered if you could die 

From a bloody knee and scraped palms


Now, I think I know the answers to the questions plaguing my mind

In sixth grade biology 

In preschool 

In the muggy woods

Or chilled coastline 


When I was a child, 

I begged and heaved

Rolled and stomped 

Trembled and ran 


Now, I ask the same questions 

I have the same innate desires 

The same mannerisms

The same panic and the same glee 


I have begun to feel like a child again 

Despite parties 

Despite the prospect of college or driving

Despite having so many more answers to the questions that have been laboring my mind

It seems that I am only gaining more and more inquiries 

And for the first time

I am okay with not having all of the answers 

And I am content with not understanding everything I assess 

I am at peace knowing that my purpose is to be present 

To be at ease 

To create

To adore

A stitched voodoo doll with so many hidden tricks


And I am satisfied with seeing all of those ugly coral tops

Cheap earrings

Jazz music 

Or children's lip gloss

All in dusty boxes 

Coated with alluring dust and

Random stains 


As I fall into myself 

For the first time 

I am stuffed with gratification

Of the wondrous anarchy I roll and stomp in




(unnamed)


I wade in your ferocity 

Nobody’s beauty has ever made me so calm,

as I float in your tide, 

Diving underneath your white water

Opening my eyes, scraping for sand 

Searching for crabs

Nobody’s beauty had ever made me so free

I am at ease

I throw your wet sand 

Giggling in mischievously, doubled over

A caricature of myself

Inquisitive

Contentious 

Courageous 

Complacent 

I surf in your wake 

Nosediving 

Coughing and sputtering

As I am thrashed around 

Underneath your folds and crests

I surface - my eyes burning with saline

Grains of invisible sand harbored in my brows 

Grasping onto the salty air, 

Turning to brace myself and my 

Unwieldy foam board


I can only giggle and bathe 

For you do not mean to be anything but innocuous 

So I thank you for what you have taught me all my life